The Congregation of the sisters of the Holy Spirit was founded on 4th June 1857 by Mother Irmina Hoelscher with the incentive of Fr. Philip De Lorenzi.
The Charism of the Congregation is to be a living community in teh Holy Spirit , and to make the working of the Holy Spirit in this world tangible to the people through us. The sisters are actively involved in different part of the rural areas of our country and commit themselves for building up a new community of love.
The Holy Spirit brought people of different languages, cultures and customs together on Pentecost and gave them an experience of oneness. It is the task and challenge for the Sisters of the Holy Spirit to build such communities, especially in our country where there are differences of race, religion, caste, culture, custom and gulf between rich and poor. By our pledge to the service of love, we are called to be the voice for the voiceless, signs of unity, agents of transformation and channels of goodness to our brethren by our being and living, hence to implant the values of perfect community where love reigns supreme and service gives chances.
In 1973 the Congregation started in India in the Diocese of Chanda – Chandrapur Dist. At present we are working in Africa, Germany and India. The apostolate in which our Congregation involved:
- Women empowerment
- SHG (Self Help Groups)
- Organizing training and awareness programs
- Care for the H.I.V & AIDS
- Leadership training for women and youth
- Saving groups of children
- Adolescents groups
- Sheep rearing
- Food & Nutrition to the deserving
- Watershed program
- Elimination of Child Labour
- Barefoot lawyers & counsellors’ training, Legal aid
- Prison Ministry, Literacy Classes
- Residential Bridge School
- Balsadan, Home for the aged
- Shelter home for women in distress
- Care for the Street children
- Care for the differently challenged
- Mobile clinic
- Arranging health camps
- Care Centers for HIV/ADIS
- Home based care for HIV/AIDS & TB patients
- Family visit
- Teaching Catechism
- Youth Animation
- Participation in the Parish Council
- Participation SCC
- Family counselling
- Working with Jesus Fraternity movement
In the year 1994 we had the humble beginning of Shantighar in Achanak Colony, Mahakali Caves Road Andheri East. “Shantighar”, a temporary shelter home for battered women, women and children of the broken families, irrespective of their caste, creed or religion. Providing services like counseling, legal assistance and rehabilitation. It is a sanctuary for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and other abuses. We have sheltered women from all walks of life, who are referred by the police, court, NGOs, parishes, social workers and in certain cases, women come by themselves. Since the activities of the centre expanded we shifted our house to a specious place which is situated at MIDC, Andheri East, Mumbai.
Our Motto: Touching hearts changing lives, reaching out in love and hope towards those in every need by empowering them for a better tomorrow.
The Aims and Objectives of Shantighar
- Family counseling – spiritual, social and legal;
- Legal service to all
- Training programme to train para – counselors, consultants.
- Legal education for the common people like camps, seminars
- Counseling for children, teenagers, youth andcouples
- Family visit, especially to broken families, sick and needy.
- personality development, Life skill training, for teenagers & youth
- Awareness programmes for women concentrating more on single mothers, divorcees and broken families.
- Stress- management programmes
- Legal assistance in the prisons, arranging various programmes for the prisoners.
- Mediation before Court or after filing.
- Conducting NLP training (Neuro Linguistic Programme) for a deeper study of self
Families in Crisis, is a pressing and critical concern around us today. ” Shantighar” is a project born out of failing marriages, increased rate of violence and families in crises. Shantighar has succeeded in reuniting many couples and giving others a purpose in life.
NEAR R.C. Maruti School,
11TH D.P ROAD of Mahakali Caves Road,
Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093
Phone: (O)0091-022-28255261, (R)0091-022-28304485