The congregation ofthe Society of St. Ursula was founded by Mother Anne de Xainctonge on 16th June 1606 at Dole in France,with the dream to teach the girls and women of her time the truths of their faith. Our Charism is “faith formation through education”. St Ursula being the patroness of education, Mother Anne named the Society after her. Our apostolate was not only restricted to teaching in schools but great attention was paid to the instruction and training of women both in their religion and home management, visiting the sick in hospitals and other forms of charitable works. The society of St. Ursula soon spread to different countries of Europe and later to America, Africa and Asia.
Having the headquarters in Switzerland, the society branched out to India in the year 1952.Our 3 Swiss sisters ventured out and arrived in Rahata and then in Pune (Maharashtra), where they began their work of education and instruction in the diocese of Pune- in the year 1964. Today the Ursuline sisters in Indiaare involved in Educational, medical work, social and pastoral apostolate in the states of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Gujarat, Odisha, and Jharkhand. Eager to carry the little lamp lit by Anne de Xainctonge far and wide our sisters have reached Romania.
Our presence at Andheri East, Asha Sadan house began in the year 2005 at the invitation ofthe SVD Fathers to collaborate with them in social work at Serva Seva Sangh (SSS).
Collaboration with SSS
A ray of hope to the children through education
- Pre-school Centers ( Balwadis)
- Support classes in the slum pockets
- An alternative system of education to empower the disadvantaged, underprivileged and drop out youth.
Reaching out to the HIV infected and affected children and adults through
- Educational support
- Medical support
- Supplementary nutrition
Trans Residency Bldg No. D- 1, Flat No 303,
MIDC, Road No 23, SEEPZ,
Mumbai – 400 093